Jun. 3, 2020 PAC Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes

Called to order 7:05pm

Great turn out to meeting via zoom. Possibility of doing this for future meetings if it makes it easier for people to attend

Address from Chair: this meeting is to secure our PAC executive team for the next school year, even though we don’t know what that looks like yet. More people joining committees is better so we encourage participation. Kelly thanks all the people who have helped in any capacity this year. Previous hot lunch crew recognized for their hard work, and a thank you to the new crew for stepping up and doing a great job.

Minutes from previous meeting passed by show of thumbs up reaction.

Principals Report

  • Junior achievement project: Coi masks (group name): all 10 sewing machines were lent to families to make masks. Instructional video how to use sewing machine, permission to use template. Made business plan and sent letters to various companies to get donations. 200 masks made and they are hoping to raise $1000 to send to the Vancouver aquarium
  • Remote learning successes: Students are getting great learning opportunities. Raz kids. Some are doing a passion project on their own guidance. One student made her own pair of shoes and has been invited to loves jewels leather to see how their shoes are manufactured. Getty museum challenge has paintings being replicated; examples will be posted on website. Click track Starwars band across the district with 9 schools participating with largest participation from Sperling. Ensemble quite impressive and will be posted for people to see later on.
  • Staff has planned on many contingencies to be ready for various scenarios. Met and gone beyond health and safety protocols. This has been very difficult for the staff, as the district has worked to reinvent what learning looks like twice, but the resiliency and creativity of staff has been impressive. Made as smoothly as possible for parents and kids.
  • Remaining at 23 divisions: 13 French and 10 English. Circa and Potyka on mat leave. Newman taking leave. Grundy extended her leave. So looking to fill 4 teaching positions
  • Grads invited to come one at a time to share favorite memory and that will be combined together to make video montage and have a watch party with open invitation to families. Will maintain all health and safety protocols but if larger groups are allowed then they will look at how to have a few people onsite in a larger group

Financial Report

  • last quarter not much going on. 2nd quarter $200 PAC grant. Fundraising monies deposited.
  • We can combine teacher volunteer gift and teacher appreciation event. Fundraising acct.
  • Gaming account nothing spent since division cheques, so there is no money remaining in that account which was our goal.
  • Cash acct 41K
  • Motion made to adopt financial report as presented. Thumbs up approval.

DPAC

DPAC was about budget. Half as many international students so budget has gone way down. Confidential info was given which has now been posted after discussion. Most of these are district jobs that are being cut. Next meeting would be the AGM, but unsure where that stands at this point.
McLean: teaching staff not affected. Front line positions have not been touched despite the cuts back scenes. Increased enrollment so teaching staff has actually gone up. Teachers get layed off each year and as soon as numbers of kids come in then they get hired back so we have a net increase this year. Lack of 800 international students. Burnaby always a small conservative district that has done well to mitigate damage.

CPF

CPF nothing to report.

Grade 7 Rep

Money they have so far should be enough to do a yearbook. Georgia has started that process in communication with the school. Not sure if all the fundraising will cover the costs. Delivery expected end of July. Hoping to have a gathering late summer to wrap up if things open up. Pretty sad to have to cancel events and bookings. If anything can be done they would like to do it.

Fundraising

  • Unsure if we can do another clothing drive during the pandemic as donations are not being accepted anywhere
  • ShopFunds cancelled this season. Will have to wait till Sept to see what happens.
  • HotLunch same thing… will wait and play it by ear.

Teachers Appreciation Lunch

In talks with Cosmos as a local small business. 2nd choice could be Little Billy’s Hideaway or Cioffis. Teachers to get menu and pick what they want and it will get delivered to
school. Slide show might be tricky so we may need to skip that. For most teachers tu/th would work. Dave will follow up with Juanita from Cosmos, and Kimberly will message Sabrina. Appreciation week June 15-19 have children take pic or drawing to send teachers individually. Dave will send out on D list which doesn’t go to teachers. Nice message or note encouraged.

Exec Positions

  • co chair position is filled by Norm Ells
  • Ruth and Livia let their names stand for secretary and co-secretary.
  • Dina lets her name stand for DPAC. Will can step in and Jason House is also considering.
    Shannon is also interested.
  • CPF William letting his name stand. Having a member from Sperling the PAC receives a grant. Currently there are no meetings but they are usually once every second month.
  • Treasurer would like to stay on. 2 treasurers are ideal. Jessica lets her name stand. Jason would be interested if he can find the time in the new school year.
  • Kelly would like to stay on as chair.
  • All exec positions voted in individually by way of thumbs up on zoom screen.

Committees (Non Exec)

  • Sperling Sprint: Eugene and Melanie for May next year.
  • Lost and found: Alessandra will stay on.
  • Emergency preparedness: Phil will stay on.
  • HotLunch: Liv, Elaine, Eva, Shannon and Jenny will stay on.
  • Indoor outdoor boxes: Eva has stayed on.
  • Fruit and veggie could use a few more volunteers.
  • King of the Web: Ian will stay on.
  • Parent notices and teacher appreciation: Chi who is also willing to help where needed.

Pancake Breakfast

Was different this year but went really well. Money made for food bank and there were lots of volunteers. Wasn’t chaotic. Some kids had never been before and good feedback from kids who are able to attend the first time. Nice event and worked out really well. Teachers had nothing but praise for the format and were happy that all students were able to participate.

Floor Opens for Questions

  • Rosemary Venos reiterates how teachers so appreciate the parents being so flexible, kind, and understanding during this really difficult pandemic time for teachers. Forgiving of teachers who are learning how to do everything differently as this is not how they have learned to teach or have been teaching. Feedback from staff re parade: was a wonderful event and an amazing coming together of the community. Thanks for standing on the street and waving to us and holding signs. It brought us together: rough count was over 300 students
  • Thanks to Kelly for a good job as chair.
  • Paula suggests future zoom pac meetings. Right now we are using a paid school account. We need to figure out how long we have this account. Zoom is a free membership and there is no cost to run 40-minute meetings. Maybe PAC can pay for an account for the general meetings. If we have 45-50 people it would be great. No problem maintaining if this can stay free.
  • Shruthi asks about gifts for teachers as her daughter is in her last year. Dave says send email for process on which it can be delivered. Teachers will appreciate that.
  • Eva budget question for teacher appreciation lunch. We have enough funds from the teacher appreciation lunch and the gift line item so we will add it together to purchase the food.
  • Lucia question about CommunyHub. Ian can put pamphlet together. People can go home and try it? This was in addition to some WhatsApp groups some teachers have done. Pandemic has made increased digital presence of teachers for classroom communication. Even after the pandemic this can be a great way to feel connected to the school.
  • Communication: Parent reps for each class to be set in September. Schedule for fall meetings to be set in June. Minutes and other information posted on PAC website so go check out what’s there. WhatsApp and CommunyHub have been a great help to connect parents and foster friendships that have developed (parent driven)
  • Funfair could be postponed a year, but would have been May 2021. Will be discussed in Sept.
  • ADST: Printer and Cricut machine were around 4k and are being well used.

Meeting adjourned 8:18pm

Feb. 19, 2020 PAC General Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:08 pm

Attendance: (refer to sign up sheet)

The previous Minutes from the general meeting held on November 20, 2019 were passed and adopted.

Items discussed:

Hot Lunch

Kelly and Livia from the hot lunch committee provided an update since the last general meeting. The previous organizers had confirmed at the end October that they were stepping down. The PAC canvassed out for a new group of parent volunteers and a new committee was formed with 6 members. The committee received information and administrative transfer of the Munchalunch accounts from the previous organizers and proceeded with their pre-arranged hot lunch vendors and Friday dates for the Term 2 session. 

The committee sent a callout in January for parent volunteers to assist on hot lunch days for 20-30 minutes and help deliver orders to classrooms simultaneously. The goal was to assist with simultaneous delivery of the hot lunches to all classrooms, which would maximize the lunch hours for the kids and for the teachers. The feedback on the transition and new process was generally a positive one with a few suggestions and tips & tricks going forward. Overall, the first run by the new committee was a successful one!

There was inquiry on whether the grade 7s could be of assistance; however, since it is a PAC event it was encouraged to provide the opportunity to parent volunteers.

The Hot Lunch committee welcomes any parents who wish to volunteer, whether as part of the committee or on the day of help. Principal MacLean will also bring up this opportunity and awareness to parents at the Kindergarten Introduction Day (scheduled in May).

Principal’s report

Recent school events:

  1. Hip Hop Dance Week:
    • Overall the week went well
    • Parent turnout for the show is getting trickier; may need a ticketing system in the future; larger audience could have also been from the timing – this year the event was in January; in the past it has been in September (something to consider)
    • Principal MacLean is looking at recording the entire event by video, to be available for everybody; hopefully this could reduce the amount of (phone) cameras and people blocking the views of others
  2. Boys Basketball Play Date:
    • Shoutout to coaches, excellent job!
    • Girls Play Date is next week
  3. Ski Day
    • Numbers still seem to be down this year; the school will continue to look into it
  1. Shrek Play  
    • The students/divisions that attended the play at Michael J. Fox Theater were excellent, even the Kindergarten classes. Everyone loved the play and was a great experience.

ADST (Applied Design, Skills, & Technologies)

The recently bought Cricut machine and 3-D printer have been great – one teacher used the printer to make a name plate! 

The 3-D modeling program, TynkerCad, has been fun for the challenge program kids to ‘tinker’ with. It is online and free.

Summer School

This year Sperling will have full day summer sessions that include free morning (academic) courses and paid (Activity) afternoon courses. Principal MacLean will be site supervisor; Ms. Venos will be morning supervisor. The school is looking to offer 7 or 8 paid afternoon classes. Possible courses are rock band, movie making, cooking, sewing, artist voice class with multi-mediums of art.

2020-21 School Year Registration

February is the month to apply for French Immersion as well as Kindergarten students. Teachers are already looking into class planning for the new year. 

The English program is currently full and maxed out at Sperling. Any catchment students will be directed to Montecito. The French program has some open spots overall, but is still considered limited.

Treasurer Report

The Treasurer (Jessica) was absent at the meeting. The report has been deferred to the next meeting.

DPAC

The DPAC update has been deferred to the next meeting.

PAC Events

Recent events:

  1. Pancake Breakfast:
  1. The new committee tried something different this year – instead of before school (7-9am) it was held during school hours at staggered times (9-11am); overall good and successful event
  2. Kids had fun, most were very excited to eat with their ‘buddies’; acknowledgement made that it is during school hours which is difficult for working parents to attend 
  3. Raised approx. $600 to the Food Bank
  4. Shopfunds:
  1. Raised approx. $781 in fundraising; over $23,000 in card purchases
  2. Next one is planned for orders due April 14th (just after Easter); delivery scheduled for April 29th or May 5th, but within plenty of time before Mother’s Day

Upcoming Events:

  1. Clothing Drive:
  2. Next one is scheduled for after Spring Break – March 29th to Apr 5th
  3. Sperling Sprint:
  1. Scheduled for May 1st (first Friday in May)
  2. Notice and pledge form will be sent out the week before 
  3. Teacher Appreciation
  1. Date still to be determined 
  2. Suggestion to have it on a Wednesday over a Friday
  3. Prefer May as opposed to June – possibly May 27th
  4. Volunteer Tea
  1. Teachers organize it for the parent volunteers
  2. Scheduled for May 20th; coincides with PAC AGM General meeting so may possible change it

Meeting adjourned (time unconfirmed – approx. 8:30 pm)

Hot Lunch Program

Hello Parents and Staff:

Get Ready for Hot Lunch Days again!

The following Hot Lunch dates are:

  • Friday, Jan 17 – Pizza Day* – Short Deadline order date – see below
  • Friday, Jan 31 – Subway Day
  • Friday, Feb 21 – Pasta/Pizza Day
  • Friday, Apr 3 – Pizza Day
  • Friday, May 1 – Subway Day
  • Thursday, June 4 (Sports Day) – White Spot Day

*Proceeds from this Pizza Day will go towards Grade 7 grad fund.

Orders can be submitted and paid online through Munchalunch (https://munchalunch.com/login.aspx), which will be opened up on Thursday, Jan 9th.

Please note the deadline to order Pizza for Jan 17th will be by Tuesday, January 14th (before midnight). All other orders can be submitted and paid up to 7 days prior to each Hot Lunch day. You may order all at once or each at a time (we suggest all at once so you don’t forget!)

Also, we are seeking some volunteers for about 10-15 min on those Hot Lunch Days. A volunteer notice to follow tomorrow.

Thank you!

From The Hot Lunch Committee

Winter Weather Procedures

Dear Families:

With winter weather here, we want to remind you about how the Burnaby School District shares weather-related school closures.

All schools will remain OPEN, unless there is heavy snowfall, damage or other circumstances – such as a power outage – that make it impossible to open for instruction. The District will do its best to communicate school or district wide closures by 6:30 am. This information will be posted on the front page of the district website www.burnabyschools.ca. However, please keep in mind that there may be situations where this is not possible – again, such as a power outage.

Another way to learn about school closures is on local news stations (online, radio and TV), some of which are:

  • CBC AM 690 radio
  • News AM 1130 radio
  • CKNW AM 980 radio
  • Fairchild AM 1470 radio
  • Global TV
  • CBC TV
  • CityNews
  • CTV BC

Student safety is a responsibility we share with families. Please walk your child to the door of the school if you are unsure whether or not the school is open. If for any reason you feel that your student cannot travel safely to school then please – as you normally would – notify the school that your child will be absent.

Thank you for working with us to keep our school community safe.